Our clay program can be delivered to classes from Kindergarten to Grade 12. The teacher pre-selects curriculum based or seasonal projects. The projects are either created by hand building, by throwing a piece on a pottery wheel (we can bring a number of pottery wheels to a school) or by sculpting pieces. The curriculum projects have been designed in consultation with teachers over the years and help to strengthen student learning by “bringing the curriculum to life”.
For more information please visit our ‘Clay Program FAQ’.
We provide a “true pottery program” for each class as follows:
- Our instructor comes to your school and delivers the class in your facility
- Provision of all required clay, student aprons, tools, trays, table drop cloth and supplies
- Each class is 60 to 120 minutes in length, depending on the grade and projects that is selected.
- Each class begins with a pottery wheel demonstration and a 10 minute question and answer session about clay (where does clay come from, what clay colours have you seen) and how clay becomes pottery (what happens to their projects after the class is complete). This is a wonderful opportunity to engage the students by sharing information
- The students benefit from the pottery wheel demonstration as it settles them and focuses their attention. To younger students, the transformation of a “lump of clay” into a bowl or cup seems like magic. The older students want to try it themselves.
- All of the student projects are returned to our studio, air dried to reduce the moisture content to an acceptable level and then fired in our kilns to a temperature of over 1000 degrees C.
- This firing process is a fundamental step in a pottery program.
- After firing, all projects are individually wrapped in paper and packed in a cardboard box for return to the school within 21 days, along with bags to carry them home. The bowl created during the pottery wheel demonstration is glazed and returned as a gift to the teacher.
- The fired pieces can be finished by the students and will be a permanent keepsake and reminder of their learning experience.
- Finishes and other options are offered at an additional cost.
- We accept a cheque, MasterCard and Vista for payment.
- A charge of $50.00 will be applicable if a class is cancelled within 14 days of the booking date and time. Note that you must speak directly to our program coordinator to cancel a class.
- Mileage charges may be applicable for schools located outside of the City limits. This will be discussed at the time of booking.
To provide students with a basic understanding of clay and the firing process and to assist them in making connections across the curriculum in Art, Social Studies, Science and Language Arts.
Fundraising for Schools
We have several large clay projects that can be made by all of the students in one class (for example, a large planter that is constructed in layers) and then raffled off in order to raise funds. Alternatively, we can bring pre-fired bisque ware pieces for finishing by each student or one large piece for glazing by an entire class.
The cost ranges from $12.00 to $100.00 per piece and the total cost will depend on the level of work and number of classes participating. Prices include for an instructor to come to the school to deliver the class, drying, firing, glazing and re-firing the piece and then returning it to the school.